Water Damage Do's & Dont's-Lowell,MA
No one wants to come home to a flooded basement or to wake up to the sound of a broken pipe spraying water on valuable furniture and household possessions. However, the possibility of water damage occurring in your Seekonk home is very real. Whether it is a pipe burst or a weather-related issue, it is important to arm yourself with some basic knowledge to deal with this type of emergency before it happens.
Here are a few tips to help in the event of water damage in your Massachusetts home:
- First, ascertain whether it safe to stay in the house.
- Make sure there are no active electrical devices or outlets immersed in or near the water.
- Note that wet floors are slippery and “slip and fall” hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Keep in mind that wet materials can be VERY heavy.
- Have your plumber’s phone number ready and available.
- Contact your SERVPRO Professionals at SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann at 978-927-8665 for complete restoration.
While waiting for your SERVPRO Professional to reach your location, here is what you CAN do:
- Shut off the water
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air condition on for maximum drying in the Summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects and other prized possessions to a safe, dry place
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT to do After Flooding:
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.