Recent Water Damage Posts
Some methods to fight against getting a frozen pipe.
When operating a business through the harsh winter months in Lowell MA, you may experience water concerns related to frozen pipes. Pipe freezing is more likely to occur in the following areas:
- Along exterior walls
- In areas of poor insulation
- In outdoor settings exposed to harsh cold such as hose spigots and sprinkler heads
- In unheated areas of your facility including basements, garages, or unheated storage areas
In order to prevent pipe bursts and water damage, consider the following three tips for preventing and addressing frozen pipes.
1. Allow Faucets to Drip on Cold Days
One simple solution for preventing pipe freezing and water damage is allowing a slow stream of water to flow through the pipes at all times. Constant water flow prevents freezing and may melt any ice crystals that are beginning to form. Even a slow drip can do a lot to prevent the freezing and expanding that can occur on cold days.
2. Maintain a Minimum Temperature
While some business owners dread heating areas of their facility that aren't occupied by employees, the cost of operating the furnace may pale in comparison to the hassle and expense of repairing broken pipes. Try to keep the temperature of your facility at a minimum of 55 degrees. If your heating mechanism isn't giving sufficient heat to warm the area, consider adding extra insulation inside of exterior walls.
3. Apply Heat
When you go to turn-on a faucet and notice that the water only comes out at a trickle, this may be a sign of a frozen pipe. Try to warm the pipe in one of the following ways:
- Wrap it in a towel soaked with hot water
- Warm it with a blow dryer
- Turn up the heat or bring in a space heater
Despite your best efforts to prevent freezing, water expansion may still take place within your commercial plumbing fixtures. If water damage occurs as a result of a burst pipe, shut off the water supply and get professional water cleanup help immediately.
Water Damage Do's & Dont's-Lowell,MA
No one wants to come home to a flooded basement or to wake up to the sound of a broken pipe spraying water on valuable furniture and household possessions. However, the possibility of water damage occurring in your Seekonk home is very real. Whether it is a pipe burst or a weather-related issue, it is important to arm yourself with some basic knowledge to deal with this type of emergency before it happens.
Here are a few tips to help in the event of water damage in your Massachusetts home:
- First, ascertain whether it safe to stay in the house.
- Make sure there are no active electrical devices or outlets immersed in or near the water.
- Note that wet floors are slippery and “slip and fall” hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Keep in mind that wet materials can be VERY heavy.
- Have your plumber’s phone number ready and available.
- Contact your SERVPRO Professionals at SERVPRO of Beverly/Cape Ann at 978-927-8665 for complete restoration.
While waiting for your SERVPRO Professional to reach your location, here is what you CAN do:
- Shut off the water
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air condition on for maximum drying in the Summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects and other prized possessions to a safe, dry place
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT to do After Flooding:
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
Call SERVPRO of Lowell for ALL Your Water Damage Restoration-We are the Professionals!
Water Damage Restoration is the Keystone of our Business at SERVPRO of Lowell!
Call us the minute you discover your water emergency! We will help you with your insurance company! We know exactly what to do, and how to do it!
We are trained in and know how to use technology to answer the questions you may have regarding your water loss. This is exactly what we do-call us and put your mind at ease! 978-454-7577www.SERVPROlowell.com We use moisture monitoring equipment to effectively measure and document the drying process to ensure your property is dry! We handle all kinds of water issues from an overflowing toilet to "the ocean is now in my basement!", to roof leaks to burst water pipes to overflowing washing machines to failed sump pumps. And, surfaces that range from a concrete basement to entirely finished basement living areas to exotic hardwood flooring to custom tiles, custom carpet and one of a kind area rugs. Because water finds it's way everywhere, we also often times end up cleaning out basements. I have been told by many homeowners that having the water issue in their basement sure made easy work of the basement clean out!
We use moisture monitoring equipment to effectively measure and document the drying process to ensure your property is dry! We handle all kinds of water issues from an overflowing toilet to "the ocean is now in my basement!", to roof leaks to burst water pipes to overflowing washing machines to failed sump pumps. And, surfaces that range from a concrete basement to entirely finished basement living areas to exotic hardwood flooring to custom tiles, custom carpet and one of a kind area rugs. Because water finds it's way everywhere, we also often times end up cleaning out basements. I have been told by many homeowners that having the water issue in their basement sure made easy work of the basement clean out!
Have Water or Flood Damage?
978-454-7577Have Water or Flood Damage?
WE WORK HOLIDAYS AND WEEKENDS FOR YOU!
Open all weekends, holidays to serve you when you need us! OPEN 24/7 to better serve you!
SERVPRO of Lowell is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today: 978-454-7577
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Lowell has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Lowell
SERVPRO of Lowell specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO™s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Call us today, 978-454-7577
Lowell Area Residents: We ARE The Flooded Basement Specialists!
SERVPRO of Lowell uses advanced inspection and extraction equipment to give you accurate and efficient cleanup results!
Contact us at SERVPRO of Lowell!https://www.SERVPROlowell.com/contact/contactus or simply call us 978-454-7577 where your call will ALWAYS be answered by a SERVPRO of Lowell team member ready to assist you!
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons wjy your Lowell basement may flood, including:
- blocked or failed sewer pipe
- sewer backup
- failed foundation drainage
- water line break
- hot water tank failure
- sump pump failure
And many, many more. Call SERVPRO of Lowell today at 978-454-7577.
We are the Flooded Basement Specialists:
- If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeapardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home's structure! Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get
- We are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, with always a SERVPRO of Lowell team member answering the phone ready to help!
- SERVPRO is a preferred vendor to many national insurance companies.
- We bill the insurance company directly leaving you onel less thing to worry about!
- Our technicians are highly trained in water restoration techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- We use advanced inspection and extraction equipment.
Restoring Your Commercial Property
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges
Flooding and water damage events at Lowell commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need. When you need your business restored rapidly SERVPRO of Lowell is ready to make that happen. We’re faster to any size disaster.
Call us today 978-454-7577
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – SERVPRO of Lowell
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
SERVPRO of Lowell specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration.
Ready to Help! Call SERVPRO of Lowell 978-454-7577